Thursday, December 22, 2011

Shortbread

Hello Blog World,

 

3 DAYS TO CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are we ready yet?? I nearly am. It was also my second last day of work before a 10 day break, which I cannot wait for, and tomorrow is only half a day and then we are off to a lovely lunch so excited.

Today has been a great day all round, quiet times at work, officially finished my Christmas Shopping and received a fantastic email from Trish @ Mom on a Timeout

She hosts a fantastic Link Party every Thursday and this week she has featured one of my links from last week.  My gift card box tutorial.

gift card box8

It’s my first feature ever so I am very excited!!!!!! Thanks so much Trish.  Go check her out and she has posted this weeks link party, so check out all the other talent out there while you’re going.

 

Now onto today’s proper post, I mentioned that I was going to make some shortbread, well last night I finally did it.  I wanted to make some for a few close friends at work as a little thank you present for all their help and support throughout the year, and there’s no better way than to say it with sweet yummy crumbly shortbread.

So off I went gathering my ingredients, mixed together, rolled out and cut some beautiful Christmas shapes.

shortbread 001

Baked in the oven, walked away forgot I was doing shaped instead of the classic round that you later cut up into triangles, smelt the goodness came back when the timer was just about to go off and OOOOOPS cooking FAIL!!!

shortbread 01

In no world should shortbread look like this!!!!!

Ok so I had half the dough left, rolled it back out, cut more shapes and only put it in for half the normal cooking time at a lower temperature and wah lah, much better looking shortbread.

shortbread 02

Nice yellow golden colour, cooked to perfection.


So I then wrapped them in celophane with a bit of icing sugar, tied a bow and popped them in a paper bag I made (that’s tomorrow people), so now I have the perfect hand made thankyou gift for a few close friends.

Anyway you know you want the recipe, so here it is.

Michelle’s Shortbread (adapted from my grandmother)

You will need the following

 

250g butter or one stick

3/4 Cup Caster Sugar

1tsp vanilla extract

2 1/3 cups of all purpose flour

 

Preheat oven to 175degrees celcius (350f)

 

Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla then knead in flour until all combined and smooth velvety dough forms.  I then wrap in cling wrap and let sit in the fridge for about 1/2 an hour.

 

If making in rounds, grease your 9” round tins (you will need 2) press in dough, and prick with fork if you like for a decorative pattern.  Bake for about 30 minutes until golden.

 

If making smaller shapes, change temperature to about 150 C and bake on lined baking tray for about 15-20 minutes or until golden.

 

Remove from pans or tray and let cool on rack. Store in an air tight container and they last forever or in my house 1-2 days because everyone eats them up quickly!

 

I dust mine with icing sugar, or you could use raw sugar added on top before baking for something different.

 

shortbread 03

shortbread 04

So I have done all my Christmas shopping as mentioned earlier, I still have one more gift card box to make and Oreo truffles and then some rest before the big day.

 

I hope everyone’s plans are going to schedule, remember 3 days left.

 

Until then Happy Crafting

42BD3B7A067E1982B5D475547CB5DF09

 

 

 

 


I often link up at these parties

4 comments:





Jenifer Harrod said...

This is a great recipe. I have never heard of caster sugar what kind of sugar is this? I'm always looking for good alternatives to white sugar.

Amila said...

Thanks for the great recipe...saw in Lil' Luna linky party,Would like to invite you to my linky party, Midweek Fiesta

Amila said...

Thanks a lot for visiting my blog & linking with Midweek Fiesta.Hope to see you on next week too….
Midweek Fiesta

Shari Brooks said...

i love this recipe. it's very similar to mine. I bakes some Scottish Shortbread Cookies the other week and my family LOVED the cookies. I'm glad I came over from Lil' Luna linky. Check out my shortbread recipe: http://www.myjudythefoodie.com2011/12/scottish-shortbread-cookies/

Post a Comment