Saturday, December 17, 2011

Gift Card Box Tutorial

Hello Blog World,

What a busy Saturday, haven’t done any more Christmas shopping that will have to be tomorrow.  Today I have been a busy little beaver making gift boxes and gift tags (that will be later)

gift card box0

The two boxes are for gift cards, I wanted something different  to an envelope and then I found this perfect box tutorial from Heather Bailey

untitled

Unfortunately the PDF instructions wouldn’t work (error not found) and I couldn’t find anything else like it so I winged it and made it up as a I went along so I thought I would share how to do it with everyone else.

Please forgive me as this is my first how to so if I mess it up or forget anything please let me know, oh also I did this in inches for my American friends but as I am not good with that system I am just saying what I saw on my ruler, but I did take a few pictures so hopefully that helps. If you need anything clarified please do not hesitate to contact me.

So based on the photo above from Heather Bailey I did some measuring around my gift card, which also happened to be an iTunes card.


gift card box1

You will need for the bottom tray
A 4” x 5” piece of cardstock

Score cardstock at 11/16’s of an inch on all 4 sides and fold on all folds.
Cut vertical score lines to create flaps like below


gift card box2gift card box3

Put double sided adhesive on what would be the top of cardstock on the flap you’ve just made.

gift card box4

Flip up score lines and glue on the inside of the tray.  That is you tray complete.

gift card box5
Pretty easy hey?

For the outside sleeve take a piece of cardstock 7 7/16” x 3 3/4” on landscape score at the following intervals

3/4”
3 1/2”
4 3/16”
6 7/8”

Fold on all score lines.
Once you have done this you will see it forming together.  Use double sided adhesive on what would be the top of your cardstock in the first score space at 3/4”, fold the cardstock around and form your sleeve and glue the flap to the inside.

gift card box6
ignore the second score line from the tape (that was when I was measuring and testing)

Now slip the tray into the sleeve and embellish as you like!

gift card box8

gift card box9

Wah Lah little gift card boxes completed!!

So you could use this for jewellery, gift cards, any other little thing really. You could use patterned paper and really pretty it up but as mine if for a boy, I left it pretty simple.  Or you could go even plainer and wrap it if you want.

I did find my first one a bit loose so when I was embellishing I decided to make a belly band to stop the tray from sliding out and then I added a monogram gift tag that I made using the same card stock and tied it on to the belly band with some twine. 

I also have another nephew who we are giving a gift card to so I made another one in different colours, just to test my measurements out.

gift card box92


His name also starts with B, believe it or not, and because I used a dark cardstock I added a square of white cardstock on the inside of the gift tag so we could write in it.

Here they are together

gift card box94


All in all I am very proud of myself so I even went and made a box for my friend’s gift.   That’s for tomorrow (hehe evil grin)

I hope this all made sense, if anyone has suggestions on how to do it better let me know.  Also if anyone out there does use these instructions let me know I would love to see it!!!

Well now I need to go finish some more gift tags and make a start on some hand made gifts. Until then Happy Crafting.
42BD3B7A067E1982B5D475547CB5DF09





4 comments:





Stephanie from GardenTherapy.ca said...

these are beautiful. I bet I can make bigger ones for my homemade soap too! Great tutorial.

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

These are lovely. You also take very nice pictures! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

Melanie
www.bearrabbitbear.com

Trish @ MomOnTimeout said...

Just pinned this and you are being featured tonight! Thank you so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday and Merry Christmas!
- Trish @ Mom On Timeout
http://www.MomOnTimeout.com

Vanessa said...

I love this! This is just what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing...stopping by from Mom On Timeout.

Post a Comment